Excessive condensation in cloakroom
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marlburian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excessive condensation in cloakroom

Post by Marlburian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:30 am

I had double glazed windows installed last summer and have been having excessive condensation in my 5 x 2.5ft cloakroom this winter. Even the lampshade has been soaking it up! The cistern and cold water tap are fed off the rising main, the cloakroom is on the corner of the house under a flat roof, with two walls cavity-filled; the third wall abuts on to the porch and doesn't have a cavity. There's a small radiator.

I've checked various sites and have noted several ideas for reducing condensation on the cistern, though none seem that effective. Would some sort of air brick or ventilation grill put in the porch wall (for ease of fitting) help?

I retained the old wooden front door and original single-glazed porch window (6 x 2.5ft). The latter is next to the cloakroom and also gets soaked with condensation. I'm going to have the door and window replaced with PVCu items this year. I wonder whether to wait to see if this will reduce the problem in the cloakroom.

Marlburian

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Excessive condensation in cloakroom

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Marlburian, fit an extractor in the cloakroom linked to the light. Use one with a timer incorporated.
end

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Excessive condensation in cloakroom

Post by htg engineer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:31 pm

I have the same problem in a porch, this is also a flat roof. I'm going to have a pitched roof fitted with insulation. do you have this option. The problem is, the flat roof is between the internal warm air and the external cold air, this causes the condensation. An extractor fan will help but wont solve the condensation build up.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1