Excessive Moss on Asbestos Corrugated Roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kieron457
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excessive Moss on Asbestos Corrugated Roof

Post by Kieron457 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi,

I have an asbestos corrugated garage roof, approximately 2.4m by 6.5m. The roof has considerable moss growing on it, and because my house is pebble dashed there are lots of stone pebbles scattered along the roof edging. The roof has started to leak in a few places, mainly where the roof butts up against the main wall of the house. I think this is because of the excessive moss, and the stone pebbles, that’s stopping the water from running off into the gutter ie there are pools of water just sitting on the roof. There are also one or two cracks, but not too many.

I can’t afford to have the roof replaced right now so as a short term measure I thought I would have the roof cleaned ie remove the moss & pebbles. Of course I understand that because of the asbestos gloves and a mask should be worn for health & safety. However I do have two questions . Firstly can a crack on an asbestos corrugated sheet be repaired and how?... Secondly, after the cleanup is there something that can be used to treat the asbestos corrugated sheets ie something I can paint or spray onto the sheets to make it more waterproof/protect it etc?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Kieron

20130806_172339-2.jpg
20130806_172240-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Excessive Moss on Asbestos Corrugated Roof

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:10 pm

first power wash the roof to get rid of all the moss. Then use something like isoflex rubber compound to seal the cracks, then spray a silicone solution like aquaseal over the roof to protect it.

Kieron457
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kieron457 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I contacted a local roofer and he has given me a quote of £590, and for that he said he would... "clean the roof of all moss, seal any cracks with seal tape, and coat whole roof area with industrial sealer with added fibres".

Is this a reasonable quote?... to be honest it's a little bit more than what I was expecting. In fact do I really need to use a Roofer, wouldn't a competent handyman be able to do the work?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:20 am

always get 3 quotes go with recommendations from friends, a builder can do the job its simple enough to tackle

Kieron457
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kieron457 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Decided to do the job myself, instead of using a contractor. But I don't have any boards that I can use to stand on whilst working on the roof. I thought of using a couple of scaffolding boards, but it's not something Wickes sell???

Can someone please advice what I can use as a crawling board while I'm up on the corrugated roof eg would a plywood sheet/board be good enough and if so what thickness?... of course I'll make sure it's long enough to span at least two of the roof rafters/beams :)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 am

Do not stand on the roof, it will crack a high pressure hose will reach quite far so try it first attach it to a pole if nessasary

LiamBiggs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by LiamBiggs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 pm

If you want to seal the Asbestos once you're done cleaning it off, I suggest you look into this stuff: http://asbestoscoatings.net/

They spray on this waterproof coating which protects and contains the asbestos for about 10 years. Good stuff.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:41 am