expansion in laminate flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adela
Labourer
Labourer

expansion in laminate flooring

by adela » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:17 pm

I have recently laid a laminate floor in my flat. A few weeks later it started rising in places and it kept getting worse. After taking it up I discovered the boards have become bent and won't fit back together and the entire floor has expanded by more than 1.5 cm. What could have caused this? This is not the first floor I laid, but this is the first time something like this has happend. :?

Ken Woodchef
Apprentice
Apprentice

Warping Laminate

by Ken Woodchef » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:17 am

Hi, was the Laminate laid on a concrete or wood floor? I ask this as if it was laid on a concrete floor, without a Damp Proof Membrane under it , excessive moisture posibly rising from the concrete floor could be the problem, swelling the laminate and causing it to curl.

Also, if the expansion gap arount the perimeter wasn't sufficient to accomodate normal expansion, the only way for it to further expand is up.

Hope this helps.

Ken

NimbusII
Tradesman
Tradesman

by NimbusII » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 pm

If your flat is massive and you ran it from room to room over the whole area this could cause your problem but likely not.. If you have a damp problem and did not lay a damp proof membrane first(as other poster mentioned) or if you have a water leak, had some plastering or steaming of the walls undertaken...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm