Extending opening at back of house
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extending opening at back of house

Post by eod » Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am

There are currently some fairly old, smallish french doors at the back of my house and I am thinking of extending the opening & fitting new, wider more standard size doors.

This would involve altering the brickwork. I want to find out what this would involve before deciding who to hire / what i can do myself.

There are 'soldiers' (bricks postioned vertically) over the doors at the moment (as there are over our windows). I presume these act as a sort of lintel?

Would it be possible to hold the brickwork above the door with acros, insert a bigger lintel & then chop out the brickwork as necessary or is this oversimplifying things.

Many thanks,,,,

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat May 08, 2010 6:38 pm

eod,
"I presume these act as a sort of lintel?" No they don't.
You will need to fit a new lintol to support the wall which may be a cavity wall. Your description is simplifying things but broadly correct.
end

eod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by eod » Sat May 22, 2010 10:04 am

many thanks Stoneyboy,

out of interest, if the soldiers (vertical bricks) aren't for support are they purely decorative?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon May 24, 2010 8:40 pm

eod,
"are they purely decorative" YES unless they are in an arch form then they would be for support.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am