Extension completed unsatisfactorily?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chrislondon2
Labourer
Labourer

Extension completed unsatisfactorily?

by Chrislondon2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi
We are about to purchase a 3 bed property that comes with a conservatory. There has been a subsidence claim in regards to the conservatory in 2001 which was then fully rebuild in 2002 including piled raft foundations for ca 15k. I have a final report from the engineers that it was finished in 2002.

My concern however is that the local search has revealed the following: "piled raft to existing extension completed unsatisfactorily" that is dates 2004 - two years after the completion of the conservatory

What does that mean and what do I need to do?

The sellers solicitor responded to this as follows, which I believe is an interpretation rather than fact: "it appears that there was no final inspection and as a consequence no completion certificate was issued. The council have closed its file. May we suggest that our client at his expense an appropriate indemnity policy to cover this point".

What do you suggest I do? Should I renegotiate the price, just accept the indemnity policy or even follow up with the council? Does it impact the sellability of the property when I decide to sell at a later point?

Thanks so much for your help.

Chris

gc9
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Extension completed unsatisfactorily?

by gc9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

The best thing to do is to contact the council. From my experience I can say that officers tend to be very helpful when you approach them for sincere advice when trying to get things right. They should be able to explain what the problem with the extension was and why it was not approved. The sellers might try saving you some details that could potentially lower the price or even put you off from buying.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Extension completed unsatisfactorily?

by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 am

employ a structural engineer to do a survey,if this sale falls through you have the paperwork to show other buyers,cost is about £400

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1