Extension not retaining heat
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ashers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extension not retaining heat

Post by Ashers » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:28 pm

I’ve bought a new house a few years ago and have issues with out kitchen extension retaining heat. (Was added by the previous owners).

The room is north facing, but just not retain heat.

We have replaced the French doo, blocked up a side door and have been windows but can’t get the room to remain warm.

The extension does has a high ceiling with two large velux windows.

Thought on solutions are welcome.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Extension not retaining heat

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Hi ashers
From your post presumably you have a ceiling in the kitchen matching a pitched roof. Your issue will probably be that insufficient insulation has been incorporated in the roof. You can check where most heat loss is occurring by using an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of your walls and ceilings. This will isolate the problem area.
Regards S

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Post by B4Less » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm

It's most likely your Velux windows that are the issue. Heat rises so it then hits the glass in the roof and gets cold. Maybe look at replacing the Velux glass with a higher performance glass. I would think that would solve a big part of your problem. Then, of course, you need to check what insulation is in your walls and ceiling, but that is for another post I would say.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Hi ashers
The velux windows are very unlikely to be the cause, they all have DGU’s in them. Get the infrared thermometer or even better hire an infrared camera.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:39 pm