DIY Doctor

exterior LED lights and 13a sockets

Postby sashen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:43 pm

I want to put some LED up-lights and two 13a sockets in my garden patio. I want to take the feed from a RCD protected 13a socket in the kitchen by drilling through the back of the kitchen socket and through the exterior wall into the back of the 1st external 13a socket. Then on to feed a fused switch which will feed the lights. I also want to put in 2nd 13a socket further along the garden.
Should I extend the kitchen ring main down to the 1st 13a socket and fused switch and take a spur off to the last 13a socket.
I don't think I can take a spur from the kitchen socket to feed the two exterior sockets and lights!
Thank you
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:55 am

These questions should be directed at who ever is signing the installation cert and completion cert under Part P. It is up to them what they will allow.
I would say though I would want to RCD protect both cable and sockets so the existing RCD socket would need replacing with a RCD fused connection unit and everything then supplied from that which would mean no I would not extend ring main. But person signing your paperwork may have different ideas so you should ask them first.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics