Exterior masonry paint
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
littletoe46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exterior masonry paint

Post by littletoe46 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Can anyone please give advice.
I have a 150 year old stone built farmhouse. Most, but not all of the exterior finish has been removed, leaving large patchy areas where it is impossible to get it off - originally a lime paint with a coating of Snowcem on top of that. I have been advised not to have the house sand blasted as this can cause irreparable damage to the surface of the stones.
I appreciate that the current situation is not ideal, but would like your advice on which exterior masonry paints would be best suited.

Cheers Gordon

brithebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brithebuilder » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 am

Hi,
It would be advisable to remove the Snowcem and this should be reasonably easy. As the name suggests Snowcem is cement based so mortar stain remover should shift it. The residue and the rest of the walls should be cleaned with a hot water jetwash to remove any loose material before repainting with a lime based masonary paint. It may be easier to get in a professional cleaning company to carry out the cleaning.
The conservation section of your local council should have a list of approved contractors who could carry out the work in a sympathetic manner.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:02 pm