Exterior pebbledash walls - painting or coating?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dodo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exterior pebbledash walls - painting or coating?

by dodo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:10 pm

I have a pebbledash house which i want to paint, but I know this may mean having to repaint in a few years. There's an alternative that's a bit more expensive called various names like wall coating, permatex etc. The firms that carry out the work claim to guarantee for 15 years, but they have a hit & miss reputation. I think there are fears that it seals the wall too well and causes condensation/blistering/dampness, but many companies state that the materials are now 'breathable'.
I'm very wary of extravagant claims and can't find much independent opinion. Is it really a better product than just paint?
And how do I find a reputable, local company that won't rip me off? (I'm in Surrey).

eddieman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Exterior pebbledash walls - painting or coating?

by eddieman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:52 pm

hi dodo,im a painter/decorator and to be honest sandtex or dulux weathershields are just as good a finish and also are supposed to last 10-15 years,if your pebbledash is not too rough it can be rolled with a very heavy masonry roller which gives a very good waterproof finish,thin out the first coat so it fills all nooks and crannies then roll a second coat over the top providing a very good weather-proof finish,if pebbledash is very rough it may have to be sprayed,but in answer to your question dulux or santex are excellent outside finishes,hope this helps,ed [/quote]

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 am