Exterior Stud Wall Quandary for Stone Barn
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

Northlondon
Labourer
Labourer

Exterior Stud Wall Quandary for Stone Barn

by Northlondon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi all!

Hope you can help with this, as I've been going around in circles!

We're renovating a small stone and lime mortar walled barn in France, and I'm unsure of the best way to stud the exterior wall. Basically I need to have 50mm cavity, then 150mm sheep's wool and then plasterboard on top.

Out here metal frames are the most popular and what I was recommended, I'm thinking I need to, in effect, build two walls - one 50mm metal frame to create the cavity, and then another to 'sandwich' the wool and put the plasterboard on top.

Is this the way to go? I've been looking at plastic spacers that keep the 'front' wall away from the 'back' wall and also breaks any thermal bridging. And this would allow continuous insulation between the two walls. I'm just worried about the wall being flimsy/bouncy if there's not much to keep the front wall rigid.

We've got 400mm sheep's wool for the 400mm spacings for metal studs, but I'm really regretting not going with my own gut and just building a standard wooden stud 50mm from the wall and packing the insulation with 600mm sheep's wool!

Any help would be very greatly received!

Thanks!

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 am