External Boundary 9 Inch Wall Needing Straps Restraints
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bikerchris
Apprentice
Apprentice

External Boundary 9 Inch Wall Needing Straps Restraints

Post by bikerchris » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 am

Hi all,

I hope you can help a little bit, I've got a 9 inch boundary wall about 3 metres high, which I want to make about 2 metres high. It returns around the back garden and is on 3 sides, enclosing the garden. The rear wall is hanging outwards quite a bit, so I thought about metal strapping it at the corners (on the inner face). I just wondered where I can get the straps from - I've looked at wickes, screwfix and jewsons and all I can see are straps with long bits and then a short return. I thought that straps should probably be about 450 or 600mm in one direction and the same again in the other?

Look forward to any comments.

Cheers,
Chris

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: External Boundary 9 Inch Wall Needing Straps Restraints

Post by collectors » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 am

You can either buy some flat iron & bend it yourself or see if you have a local metal fabricator or blacksmith to make you some up.

bikerchris
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bikerchris » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 pm

thank you for that, I've bought some L shape brackets, which are around 3 foot by 4-6 inches. They have plenty of holes in so I'm hoping that some raw plugs / long screws will do the job.

collectors wrote:You can either buy some flat iron & bend it yourself or see if you have a local metal fabricator or blacksmith to make you some up.

bikerchris
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bikerchris » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

Just so you all know, here's one of them installed. I used 2 inch bolts / rawplugs located as near to the centre of each brick as possible.
2016-06-25 12.25.36-1024w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bikerchris
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bikerchris » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:50 am

Sorry, meant to add that I'm doing another 2 of these, 1 a few feet from the ground level and another one at roughly head height.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:54 am