External Bricks Discoloured and Damp Inside in Kitchen Extension
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sadjonvee
Apprentice
Apprentice

External Bricks Discoloured and Damp Inside in Kitchen Extension

by sadjonvee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 pm

I have damp/mould appearing at three locations in a kitchen extension (all around 9/12 inches up the wall) and on the outside wall, the brickwork is lighter than elsewhere - red brick that looks greyer/dusty in appearance.

I'm assuming that damp is getting through at these points, and my question is what I can do to a) remove the damp and b) stop it returning - is there a treatment I can apply to the brickwork to protect it?

The interior wall is not badly damaged - mainly just looks like some black mould spots, and there is, apart from the discolouration, no sign of external damage. So I'm hoping someone is going to say "Oh you just need to brush this on and everything will be perfect again..."

;-)

Any advice would be really welcome.

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: External Bricks Discoloured and Damp Inside in Kitchen Extension

by welsh brickie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Use neat bleach on the wall to remove any mould, And a dehumidifier to dry out the wall.
On the outer wall, paint aquaseal silicone sealant on the wall,

sadjonvee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: External Bricks Discoloured and Damp Inside in Kitchen Extension

by sadjonvee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm

That's great advice ! Thanks so much for your help, now to get down to the clean up exercise.

thanks again

Dj

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:26 pm