DIY Doctor

Main navigation

External wall and tiling on wall or on Insulate board

Postby Mightymiller » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am

I am renovating the bathroom. When I remove the old tiles all the plaster is also coming away. Can I fit the new Bathroom Wall Panels direct to the external cavity wall or do I need to fit some insulation board first? Or even worse - replaster.
Mightymiller
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi mightymiller
Whether you insulate first or fit wall panels direct to the wall you will need a contiguous background so plastering will be required. As an alternative you could batten the walls, packing where plaster is missing, insulate between the battens and fix your boards to the battens.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Mightymiller » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks for your response Stoneyboy. How about if I remove all the old plaster and replace with plasterboard then fit the wall panels direct to Plasterboard?
Mightymiller
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi mightymiller
Yes you can do that but use tile on board in the wet areas.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!