External Wires on Rear of Property - Potentially Dangerous Advice?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JFMSheffield
Labourer
Labourer

External Wires on Rear of Property - Potentially Dangerous Advice?

by JFMSheffield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:39 pm

I have recently bought a new house and these wires are currently on the back. I called the electricity supplier who contacted the electrical grid but they state the wires are not electrical (im not sure about this). Some have suggested they might be rediffusion tv cables? Again im not sure, the wires come out of the ground, hang in midair and then attach to the house. I dont want to cut through them incase they are live but I dont want them on the back of the house. Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
close up of box
close up of box
wiring 2 sml.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
across the back of the house
across the back of the house
photo wire sml.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
coming out of the ground
coming out of the ground
photo 1 sml.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: External Wires on Rear of Property - Potentially Dangerous Advice?

by proptech » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi

That really looks like TV cables, but you must be 100% sure. Can I suggest getting a local electrician to check it out. It would only take minutes to check with the correct instrument. He could then do the cutting, leaving you do deal with the removal.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: External Wires on Rear of Property - Potentially Dangerous Advice?

by ericmark » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 am

I seem to have seen these pictures before. Your not the only one who uses more than one forum.

It would seem it's not what they are which is in question but who owns them?

Not so long ago South Wales lost their gas supply due to a burst water main which managed to fill the gas pipe with water.

This will always happen where may services are run down the same road so although in theroy there should be no power to those cables they do need proving dead before removal.

I remember a story from my father-in-law who had found cables thought to be unused on a hospital job so had instructed the contractor to spike the cables then remove.

The spike is a special remote operated device which fires a spike through the cables insuring it is dead before cutting into it. Should it not be dead there would with 11 kV cables be a very large bang but since operated by remote no risk to personal.

However latter he walks through the site to find a man with a spike out of a band jack and a sledge hammer about to drive it through the cable. Clearly not a good idea if it was live he would clearly die.

This is also a problem with forums. What we have in our mind when giving instructions may not be the picture the reader gets.

That cable was not live and the guy would have been OK and in the same way we can tell you test for live and if clear rip them down and likely they will not be live and you will be OK even if your testing is completely inappropriate. However only some one who is there with the appropriate knowledge and test equipment can be 100% sure it's not running parallel to a high voltage line and has a very high induced voltage.

You know what the cables are I have read the replies you got so now it's time to employ some one to test them and remove them.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:54 pm