Extra light switch required in garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ianmoore
Labourer
Labourer

Extra light switch required in garage

Post by Ianmoore » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:13 pm

I have a single light switch in my garage which has 2 doors. I would like to have a light switch at both doors but am unsure as to how to run and fit the extra switch. Help please. Ian

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:38 pm

You need two x two way switches and some three core and earth cable.
Easy bit first both switches are joined together like to like so L1 on one switch to L1 on second switch and so on.
Originally the first switch would be connected to com and L1 but with two way switching we connect to L1 and L2 instead.
So you end up with two wires in the L1 and L2 and one wire in com on the original switch position.
See http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html for diagram on how it works.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Ian,
you will find the connection diagram in project section but basically you need to run a 3 core&earth cable between switch positions & purchase
2-2way switches.
connect earth wires suitably sleeved green/yellow at both switches, even if using all plastic switches & back boxes earths must be maintained (into small connectors if no provision in boxes.)
At new switch position connect one wire to each switch terminal, brown sleeve/tape the grey and blue cores first. NOTE what colour core is in your Com terminal (the one at the end on it's own), the other 2 go into L1,L2 either way round.
At original sw. after turning off supply disconnect the 2 cores connected to old switch, on new switch connect the colour core you noted as com. into Com. put one new and one old wire into L1, and remaining 2 into L2.
All these should be taped/sleeved brown. J-D.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:00 pm

I have modified my web page with a little more information at bottom of page plus added links to Wikipedia same URL as before if you still have problems re-visit and refresh the page.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:38 am