(extra) low voltage lighting - installing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m a phillips
Labourer
Labourer

(extra) low voltage lighting - installing

Post by m a phillips » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 pm

I would love my OH to install a low voltage lighting system. We have read the Wickes leaflet and various other things but.............we are still confused and the forum suggests that, like marriage, this is not something to be undertaken lightly etc etc.

Even the otherwise very readable Wickes leaflet says that low voltage means ELV but their catalogue then list everything as LV without distinguishing one from t'other - or is it all ELV?.

It also says that ELV lighting cannot be used with a dimmer switch (5) and then, elsewhere, that it can have a 'special' dimmer switch fitted.

Is it worth the hassle? I assume the most sensible course is to buy a complete kit - on the assumption that it will include everything or are they just too cheap? Also are there additional 'belt and braces' add ons whch are desirable for safety?

Thank you for staying the course this far

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi, 'mains' electricity is in range considered as low voltage,
12v downlights on transformer[s] are extra low voltage after transformer hence confusion.
There is no real difference in a 12v/50 watt lamp and a 230v/50watt lamp,
except you don't need transformers for 230v ones and only need a well rated 'normal' dimmer sw. to operate them.
Also once you decide on lamp wattages for ELV type you can't change/mix them about as they must match transformer rating, ie 3@35W
will work on a 105watt[VA] tranny but you can't then change one or more of them to a 50W lamp! With 230V ones you can mix/match as you want,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:29 am