Failed dimmer switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonvr_uk
Labourer
Labourer

Failed dimmer switch

by simonvr_uk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:37 pm

I have a dimmer switch which appears to have failed - all other lights working & light on switch not lit. The switch&lights are less than 2years old - is there a problem or do they just "go" after a while?
I know the electrician had problems at the time getting a switch of the correct wattage & not sure if it is. It is an 800w 2way 1 gang - it is linked to 10 50w halogen downlighters & there is a second dimmer switch (which works a seperate 100w std light) alongside to which it appears to be linked - as I recall he couldnt get a single 2 gang dimmer to cope with it all?
I had heard that for halogen lights you need to *2 the capacity - which would be 10*50w*2=1000w in which case is the switch being overloaded & needs something higher?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 pm

hi, try fitting temp normal sw, do lights work ok? if so dead dimmer, if wrong rating would expect it to have quit long ago so just get same again as things electric do just pack in some times,regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:02 am