False ceiling on concrete slab
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

gjran23489
Labourer
Labourer

False ceiling on concrete slab

by gjran23489 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi folks,

I am currently rennovating a 1960's concrete framed massionaette flat and have came across an issue with the upstairs ceilings. The upstairs ceilings seem to be precast concete slabs (1000mm-1200mm wide, which form the upstairs floor) which have have been plastered. As you can see from the images, at the the slab joints the uneven settlement has cause cracking which has been subsequetly patched.

Hence, we will be putting up a suspended ceiling. I am wondering what construction would be best for it and what would be the best way to go about it? I am currently thinking of using timber battoning around 30mm deep with 12.5mm plasterboard, and using sound insulation to deaden the noise from upstairs living room. However, the ceiling is very uneven and would take a lot of shimming to get it level (which isn't too much of a problem). Would this be the best option or are there any other options? Since the ceiling height is already so low we are looking to reduce the new ceiling depth by as little as possible (2 - 3 inches at best). Also what type of fixings would be suitable for something like this?
Attachments
Ceiling 4.jpg
Ceiling 3.jpg
Ceiling 2.jpg
Ceiling 1.jpg

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 am