Fan and Lights on one switch, need to separate
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnDalvaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fan and Lights on one switch, need to separate

by JohnDalvaccio » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:16 pm

I have a ceiling fan (with a light) and four led lights all wired to one rocker switch, so basically in order to turn on my fan, I also have to turn on four dimmable led lights to their full wattage at the same time. What I want to do is install a dimmer switch for the lights and leave the fan (actually a lightless one I bought to replace it) on the rocker switch, but there's only one set of wires going into the switch on the wall. Does this mean I'll have to run a new set of wires to the breaker, or do these run in series on the same breaker? I also noticed when I turned the breaker off and pulled the switch out that it (the switch) isn't grounded. Should I be worried about that? I have some knowledge, but it's limited. I have a feeling everyone's going to tell me to just hire an electrician, but I wanted to do this myself. I've installed switches and ceiling fans before, but that's about the limit of my electrical abilities.
Attachments
Fanandlights.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fan and Lights on one switch, need to separate

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi johndalvaccio,
If you can find where the looped in connection is you could separate the circuits there and fit either a smart dimmer or remote control dimmer on the ceiling. This would be much easier than running new wiring.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm