Fault With My Sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sparks26
Labourer
Labourer

Fault With My Sockets

by sparks26 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:20 am

My fuse keeps triping out on my main fuse board and from previous fault i understand this to be a fault with the neutral somewhere, so i removed every socket that was dead to try and find this, as yet i have found nothing and left the sockets off, yet the fuse still trips. Every other sockets that is on indicates the everything is ok as i have tested it with a tester. the ring main i think is half the house on the right and not upstairs downstairs rings this might be due to the fact its 130 years old. my problem is i dont know where to go from here can anyone help please

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Get yourself an electrician in to test the circuits. with the proper test gear. Its the only way you'll find the fault.

Cheers

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:59 pm

make sure you have disconnected everything that is plugged in, absolutely everything (there is always something you miss!!) also switch off any fused spurs supplying things like under cupboard or outdoor lighting, built in appliances etc etc.
then switch the MCB back on, does it still trip? if not the fault may be with an appliance somewhere. go round and plug everything back in, does 1 item make it trip? if so that could be a faulty item. If it is a high current item make sure plugging in another high current item may also make it trip, sometimes a circuit needs a bit of load to make it trip.
these types of faults are hard to find, even for a pro, but doing this you may at least be able to find out if it is a circuit fault or an appliance fault. don't assume with an appliance it would blow the fuse. many times I have had them where the fuse is ok, but the MCB has tripped.
Andy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:42 pm