Faulty Immersion
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

Sazon
Labourer
Labourer

Faulty Immersion

by Sazon » Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 pm

We have (I think) a gravity fed, vented, indirect hot water system that works along side a immersion system with two heating elements for use with economy 7. Age is approx 18-20 years.

The HW/CH system seems to work OK.

I want to use the immersions to heat in the summer while the heating is off. However the immersion heaters are not heating the water.

Given both had failed, I checked the controller and found a blown electrolytic capacitor on the controller board. I replaced the controller with a new unit but I am still not getting any heat from the elements.

I have checked the power (Don't panic, I have experience of working with HT supplies!) and it appears that power is getting to the elements and that the thermostats are working correctly.

I suspect that, when the old controller failed, the elements may have been left heating indefinitely and permanently (limited only by the thermostat).

Finally to my question: Is it possible to find out if both elements have blown by testing their resistance? Basic maths says that a 3kW element should have a 20 ohm resistance, but I do not know if that still applied when the element is cold.

Alternative question: Am I missing something simple? Is there another possible solution?

Thanks

Saz

It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm