Feather boarding at top of garden on slope
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gideapark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Feather boarding at top of garden on slope

by Gideapark » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to this site. I am trying to save myself hundreds of pounds erecting my garden fence. I had major work last year 2019 on my garden. New fence and retaining wall on one side and new patio.
If you look at the attached photos last year I erected 3 8ft posts and the top of my garden. The problem is the garden is on a slight slope.
The first photo is I attached 6 inch gravel boards following the slope and staying in line with the fence on the right. The second photo is if I kept the gravel board level look at the gaps between the lawn and gravel board. So can somebody please tell me which is the correct method?
When the feather boards are attached the tops of the boards must be level? Meaning the chances are I will have to trim a straight line at the top of the boards? It would look ridiculous having a sloping fencing at the top?
Any thoughts please? Thanks
Attachments
Garden fence (3).jpg
Garden fence (2).jpg
Garden fence (1).jpg
Garden fence 1.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Feather boarding at top of garden on slope

by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi gideapark
There is no right or wrong way. You can either install the boards horizontally and fit a tapered gravel board under the main one or fit the gravel board to match the slope of the land and cut the top and bottom of your boards to suit.
Your computer simulation of the latter looks weird because you have not imposed a trapezoid view of the fence section.
Regards S

Gideapark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gideapark » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I had a contractor come out to give me a quote. Just too much so I thought I'd do it.
Funny you should mentioned 'tapered' gravel board as I recall him saying tapered gravel board but wasn't sure what he meant at the time.
Can you explain it?

What do you mean ref the simulation?
In the photo I secured boarding last year and over the winter peered out of the window and thought it doesn't look right. The line of the top of the boards should be straight not sloping.
I kept the gravel boards at an angle to follow slope as horizontally if I was to keep the gravel boards and boarding in line with the right fence it would match. Ideally I'd like to have the gravel boards horizontal. Is this where tapered gravel boards would work?
I'm good at DIY but I'm stumped here.
100% the top of the boards have to be straight at the top.
Maybe the bottom of the vertical boards can be cut at angle to sloping gravel boards?
Again thank you for input.

ps the previous fence was straight. A bit of a gap under bottom of feather boards but no gravel boards. The outer boards were facing the other way.

Gideapark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gideapark » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:45 pm

Re read my last reply.
Meant to say *wouldn't match the level of gravel board and fencing on the right if I had the gravel boards horizontally by digging the ground to get the board level it would be out of line with right fence.
Putting horizontally in-line with fence would leave a significant gap under gravel boards.
I'm going to Google tapered gravel boards. :)

Gideapark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gideapark » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Ok guys
Would appreciate some feedback no matter if negative.
I'm attaching some photos which I took this afternoon.
I bought some clamps so 2 positions.

1• keeping the gravel boards in line with new fence on right.
2• One position is keep gravel boards horizontal leaving huge gap underneath. How would you fill that?
3• Second position would position the gravel boards following slope. I've raised them a little compared to where they were in original photo.
4• I've clamped feather board one each side and stretched white cotton from one end to other. (That's all I had).
It looks pretty horizontal which I want the top of the boards to be.
5• If I attach 6ft feather boards right along ( I might have to purchase a few longer boards for the left side). I think it'll look much better than my original effect where the top of the boards slope in line with the gravel boards.
The white cotton in photo's 1 you'll have to zoom in.

Please add your thoughts.
Attachments
20200710_175721.jpg
20200710_175802.jpg
20200710_175642.jpg
20200710_175544.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi gideapark,
Sorry to refer to computer simulation but in your original picture the boards do not look vertical.
Suggest you install the gravel boards to match the slope of the land, cut your FEW boards to match the slope of the gravel board and once all boards are in place cut the top so it is horizontal. This will give you the appearance you want and save having to cut a gravel board along its length.
Regards S

Gideapark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gideapark » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks for your response S.
Yes the original photo of the fence does look off.
The feather boards are straight as I used a spirit level and kept them in line as I went along. So they were level with posts. Its just I followed the slope so doesn't look right. I'm sure you'd agree as well as others the new photos the gravel board following the slope would be better and trim the feather boarding at the top horizontally when all attached. I didn't do this originally after months looking at it ripped the whole lot down. I know how to waste money. Thanks

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm