DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Feed from main house

Postby m3wilson » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:32 am

I have a garage consumer unit with a 63A RCD incomer protecting 1 x 32A MCB, 1 x 16A MCB and 1x 6A MCB.

This is all fed from an MCB in the main House, what rating should the MCB in the main house be?

Thanks in advance.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 pm

All to do with size of cable and how the cable is run. I have seen many times where the sizes of MCB on a consumer unit are same or even bigger than the MCB supplying it where someone has bought one really populated.

This is very common with caravans where total supply is 16A but consumer unit in caravan has 16A MCB for sockets.

So what size cable in mm² and what type of cable SWA or Twin&Earth etc. And how is it run? Underground or through wall with insulation in wall.

This is not really a question for an on line forum especially one which has no pictures it really needs someone to physical inspect to answer this.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2697
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Postby marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:11 pm

ive also seen outside electrcal supplies ran from a fused need to step the distance out and then calculate the size of the etc... from the board....
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics