Feeding a new socket from the shower circuit?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robofleeds
Labourer
Labourer

Feeding a new socket from the shower circuit?

by robofleeds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I would like to install a double socket in my loft but the upstairs ring main cables come up from the ground floor, making a spur up through the stud partition walls difficult. Up in the loft the only mains cable I can find is the radial circuit for the electric shower in the main bathroom. It has its own 32A Type 2 fuse in the consumer unit. The only other cabling up there is for the upstairs lighting circuit, which also feeds the shaver points.

Can I take a spur from the shower circuit to feed a new double socket and, if so, what is the best way to do it, i.e. via a junction box?

The alternative is to use an extension cable from the mains socket on the landing whenever I'm up there but I'd prefer to have a more permanent arrangement.

Any advice much appreciated!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Feeding a new socket from the shower circuit?

by ericmark » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:21 am

The only way you could tap into a shower circuit would be to use a consumer unit or similar as the terminals in a socket or fused connection unit would not physically take two 6mm cables. Since a shower takes such a high current the connections need to be very good and so they should always be tested after any work.

To test needs equipment which the DIY guy is unlikely to own.

Also if one alters the circuit then it should comply with current regulations although there is no need to upgrade if not altered. So it is unlikely to comply with a fuse. You need RCD protection which is rare to find with a fuse. Not heard of type II fuse although old MCB's were type II. Any new socket will need RCD protection. Also showers have required RCD protection for many years.

When I say RCD that's a 30ma not a 100ma.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:37 pm