Festoon 110v lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

Festoon 110v lighting

Post by ericmark » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Am I reading the regs correct 411.8.5 is an earth wire now required on festoon lighting? I have never seen an earth on festoon lighting so there will be a lot being renewed if that is the case?

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

Post by 333rocky333 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:07 pm

How I read it , but may be wrong
only needs earth if it is a connecter that could be used to connect a light,or at a socket ,or at a plug

Ie in case someone tries to connect a light that may need an earth.

Provided from the plug to the end it ONLY has bulb holders which will ONLY accept bulbs, it would not reguire an earth.
So Two core would suffice
There is no provision there to connect a LUMINAIRE

Note it says luminaire (definition on page 26 of the red/ rules)

If it had a socket on the end though perhaps to join to another string, I would say it then needs an earth through to that

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Guys, reading the mail...
don't forget this is for 'reduced low voltage systems' ie 110 C.T.E. & as rocky says only if outlet connectors in use so answer I think would be no if just moulded string of festoon lamps, incedentally th old screw together 'spike' type lampholders now banned.
BTW passed my 17th C&G yesterday on first ever 2382 online exam, boy am I relieved....CEO of NAPIT came & took pickies, lots of adrenalin running down legs...funny smell that adrenalin, now got problem of using two sets of regs in parallel for a long time yet ,
best regards,
SPARX

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Congratulations to Sparx I have another 6 weeks before mine. And yes Rocky I think your right. And funny it is exactly what our teacher said caused most problems with regs not reading the definitions properly. And I did know the old self sealing cable can no longer be used on 110 volt. Think OK on 24 volt though I would hope so anyway as I have installed a lot of machines using ASii PLC stuff which works the same way with two cables one yellow and one black with clamp on units saved a lot of wiring.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 pm

740.55.1.2 Lampholders
Insulation-piercing lampholders shall not be used unless the cables and lampholders are compatible and the lampholders are non-removable once fitted to the cable.
I thought they were totally banned got it wrong again.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:39 pm