Filling loop leaks and water/inhibitor everywhere...
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jmh1
Labourer
Labourer

Filling loop leaks and water/inhibitor everywhere...

Post by jmh1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi

Just tried to put some inhibitor into my combi boiler via the filling loop. Checked the connections and the only place the adaptor nut (that goes onto the can) would fit it just prior to the non-return valve (ie without using the actual loop). It went in fine, but when I tried to take the nut off the one way valve didn't seem to work and every where got sprayed with my can of X100!!! I managed to get the filling look back on but not before it had sprayed over the boiler plug and fuse, which has now short-circuited the system and the boiler now does not have power to it.

Where did I go wrong? I checked I was filling it in the direction of the arrow on the non-return valve, and I checked which pipe was which (ie cold water mains inlet and boiler loop). Did I just have a dodgy non-return valve, and if so I guess I need to drain the system to fit a new one.

jmh (covered in X100 inhibitor and not pleased with herself!!)

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DEEARR2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Much easier to drain some water fro the system and introduce the inhibtor via the highest radiator. Good practice to have the system clean before using the inhibitor.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 pm

It sounds as though you didn't take the pressure of the system!

In any event its much easier to put it in via a radiator, take the pressure off the system, remove the blanking plug on the opposite end to the bleed valve, fit a ½" BSP elbow and pour it in. Replace the blanking plug, repressurise and off you go.

Have you managed to get it all going again?

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1