finding the right hinge
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulz
Apprentice
Apprentice

finding the right hinge

Post by paulz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:48 am

Am in the process of boxing in the understairs space, with 3 doors. In the void are a small filing cabinet, in the "shallowest" end; a tumble drier in the middle and the end space will be used for brooms, ironing board etc.

I'm making the doors, from battening with ply on either side. The middle door is over 600mm across [so the tumble drier could be removed if necessary]. This is quite wide, and nearly bangs on the worktop opposite. It won't be very easy for getting clothes in & out of the drier, either.

So I'd thought of splitting this door lengthways [after I've made it] so that when opened out it can double back on itself. My question really is, I need a hinge that will allow this, while leaving a minimal gap when shut so as to be as unobtrusive as possible. Parliament hinges give a good throw out but I don't really want the hinge poking out out at the front. The concealed ones don't quite look strong enough. Any ideas please? I hope this is clear, can post pics if that help

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:49 pm

paulz,
Any standard 3" butt hinge will be adequate.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:48 pm