Finishing for oak dining room table
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kathcochrane
Labourer
Labourer

Finishing for oak dining room table

by kathcochrane » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 am

My brother in law recently made us an oak dining room table. He finished it with a coat of wax but that does not seem to repel water or be hard wearing enough. Could anyone advise us on the best hard wearing finish for the table given it already has a layer of wax on it. many thanks

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi. Wax isn't the hardest wearing of finishes, as you've found out. It is, however, very traditional, and will look wonderful in a hundred years or so! You just have to treat it as carefully as our grandparents used to do.

If your brother is law made the table for you he will certainly have the knowledge to apply a more resilient finish. Chances are he'll re-finish with either a varnish, two-part brush epoxy, or spray finish depending on what kit he has.

If you really want to DIY I've posted several bits on finishing here in the past. But to be honest I'd recommend asking your brother in law nicely!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 pm