Finishing of Interior Doors - What High Performance Wood Stain?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
london2000
Labourer
Labourer

Finishing of Interior Doors - What High Performance Wood Stain?

by london2000 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello, I've had some oak-veneered interior doors installed which I need to finish off. The manufacturer states they can't be finished with "wax, teak oil or varnish" and instead recommends a "high performance wood stain/lacquer".

Searching on Google it seems that many manufacturers of wooden doors make the same statement but I'm confused as to what it means. I've contacted the company but their reply has been rather vague.

Can someone who has had the same experience please recommend a specific "high performance wood stain" that would be suitable to use? I'm looking for a translucent matt/satin finish that won't much change the natural colour of the oak veneer.

Many thanks, Roger

thedoctor

Re: Finishing of Interior Doors - What High Performance Wood Stain?

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Roger,

Hardwood doors (in particular) have a very close grain which most applications (varnish, wax etc) just "sit" on....This does form a protective "skin" but nothing as good as getting something deeper into the grain to protect the door.

We use some great stain which is neutral and fluid enough to get into the grain to protect the door. It gives a slight sheen (no more than satin) and will protect the timber for up to 5 years. Its not the cheapest but none of the stuff we sell or recommend is cheap, we only work with the best tools and products.

Here is a link to the product https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... litre.html

Please do let us know how you get on as it may help others too.
Attachments
Everbuild_stain.png
Everbuild_stain.png (64.99 KiB) Viewed 2258 times

london2000
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Finishing of Interior Doors - What High Performance Wood Stain?

by london2000 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 am

Thanks very much for this suggestion, which I'll look in to.

Roger

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:13 am