Fire bricks
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
triggerfish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fire bricks

by triggerfish » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:19 am

Hello,

Sorry to sound a bit ignorant, but I've spent hours looking up info about fire bricks on the internet and I'm still not sure what I use them for!

I'm trying to restore 2 chimneys in a house I've just bought. At the moment they're both just holes in the wall, and both will need substantial parts of brickwork replacing as it's literally crumbling away.

One I'm hoping to get hooked up to a wood burner, and the other one I'd like to install a fireplace in and make back into a proper open fire.

So if I have to replace a large proportion of bricks in each of the fireplaces, do I have to use fire bricks or will normal clay bricks suffice?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Fire bricks

by Perry525 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Since 2002 work on chimneys has come under building control and you have to notify your local council before you do any work.
Working on chimneys requires technical skill and knowledge. What you do today may well lead to an accident tomorrow.

From the sound of it, your chimneys are old and uncared for, its quite likely that the parging is shot and the chimneys are dangerous to use.

Converting chimneys to current standards will be expensive.

triggerfish
Apprentice
Apprentice

by triggerfish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Hello.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was going to get the flues inspected and lined professionally, it was just the brickwork in the fireplaces themselves. It doesn't look good at all, as the bricks are badly chipped and the mortar is crumbling away.

I was going to remove a few of the old bricks at a time and replace them with some reclaimed bricks using lime mortar until all of the damaged bricks had been replaced.

I most defintely wouldn't be lighting up the fireplace until the flues had been lined and professionally repaired. :)

Is this still notifiable work?

Also, just out of interest what is the difference between normal bricks and firebricks?

Thanks,

Mike

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

fire bricks

by Perry525 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:05 pm

triggerfish,
From what you write, you don't need to replace any of the crumbling brickwork.
The enclosed wood burner, will be kitted out and ready to go, once the flue is certified ok.
The other one, again if you buy a proper fireplace, cast iron etc, this will also be kitted out with made to measure fire bricks,
However, think carefully before you buy a wood burner, a multi fuel stove will burn hotter and give you more options.
Perry

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:10 pm