fire regs for stairs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jacki
Labourer
Labourer

fire regs for stairs

by jacki » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 pm

we want to take our hall wall away so the stairs come straight into the lounge. Can we do with fire regs or does stairs have to be enclosed?? :?:

Jim357
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jim357 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:27 pm

hi there.. i am no expert.. but..
you will need to let us know more..i.e.
is it a flat or a detached house.. first floor or second or attic stairs..
i hope you find the answer... or you can call the council, and they can put you in touch with someone who knows.. in the planning office.. or visit thier planning web site.. and find answers there maybe.
good luck
jim

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 pm

See our project on building regulations and click through to the Planning portal web site where you can read all the regs. It is the Building Control Department of your local council you need to sopeak to, not the planning office.

jacki
Labourer
Labourer

by jacki » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Jim

I contacted the building control dept and he says we can take the wall down providing we put fire jump windows in upstairs.

weve applied for buliding regs now we cant decide do we use a steel lintel and cover it or put in an oak beam. Its a cottage any views ??

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 pm

If Building regs are all you need, you don't apply for them, you notify them that you are carrying out the works, pay the inspection fee, and then take their advice, because they have to sign the works off.
As to a steel, versus oak beam, they will advise on sizes for both, depending on the stresses applicable.
Your council website is usually very helpful.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1