Fireplace Removal
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AlGBarker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fireplace Removal

by AlGBarker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi All,

I have a 1930s house with a fireplace tucked away in the corner of the upstairs front bedroom. It’s not too attractive and creates a lot of dirt so decided to remove it.

The plan is not to knock out the chimney breast, but to pull out the iron fireplace, put in a wooden frame and some plaster board and use the recess left behind for shelving space.

Sounds simple... or am I being too naive about all this?

Can anyone give me some advice on what to expect and what I need to check out before I start making holes? I’ve seen people mention they have gas fires downstairs with is the true in this case also

Thanks all

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Fireplace Removal

by Perry525 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:41 pm

1930 seems to be in vogue with some people, so remove it carefully and sell it on e-bay.
Before you start.When you block this chimney, you will unbalance the existing humidity in the room.
You will undoubtedly find the room and that part of the home warmer.
And probably the question of humidity will arise, with cold beds and condensation on windows.

If that doesn't put you off. Then you should have the chimney swept as it sounds like it needs it.
Although after all this time, its probably the parging that crumbling.
Then you must seal the top of the chimney to avoid rain falling inside and making the home wet.
And seal the bottom.
Then if the chimney is on an outside wall, you must fit air bricks at top and bottom to create a air flow to help keep it dry.
This will make the chimney breast cold (only one brick thick) and you may get a damp patch.
Which can be avoided if you cover the chimney breast in say one inch of polystyrene.
And thats about it.
Perry

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm