Fires, Aga and Demolished Chimneys
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

Doncasterdaniel
Labourer
Labourer

Fires, Aga and Demolished Chimneys

by Doncasterdaniel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi. This is my first post, so apologies if I have the wrong forum.

Last year we bought an old house from a couple who had lived there nearly 60 years. Originally built in 1920's. They have spend considerable time hiding or removing any nice old features that I am slowly returning and putting right.

One issue I am struggling with is chimneys. I have three chimneys in total. Well when I say 3. Two have them have been removed to below the roof line and slated over. The third is still there but has an extractor fan fitted in kitchen. I have found two nice fireplaces in the reception rooms behind the MDF but don't know what to do about the chimneys and linings.

(1) will I have to rebuild both chimneys above the roof line and fit a liner in both? Is this my only option and does anyone have any idea what the cost might be?

(2) I have put a gas Aga in the kitchen (not connected to gas get). I am guessing that as the chimney stack is still there above the roof line my only option here would be a liner from the Aga out of the top of the roof?

I am after some advice in who I shoud call to come and advise me? Builder? Gas fire installer? Roofer? Could someone point me the general direction that would be most helpful.

Thank you, Daniel

It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 am