Firewall in Attic and Building Regulations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Josheep
Labourer
Labourer

Firewall in Attic and Building Regulations

by Josheep » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi DIY Doctor forum people,

I have recently taken ownership of the attic above my flat, however there is no firewall between the attic above me and next doors attic. The secretary of the management company and my neighbour took it upon themselves to start building the firewall (to save money! but that's another story). I had to get them to stop as it didn't follow the boundary of my wall downstairs and so I don't think it would count as a firewall and not to mention it cuts a few square meters out of my attic! My concern now is that the batten they have used is 70mm and a friend has said to me that the regs state a 100mm batten between the plasterboard? I have tried finding the information online but can't see anywhere about the required thickness.
So my questions are:
What are the regs on thickness of the batten between the plaster (if there are any)?
What other things should I look out for in regards to it being properly constructed?
And do they need a building regs application for a firewall?

Any help much appreciated,
Josh

VinnyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Firewall in Attic and Building Regulations

by VinnyB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Josh

Do you have photo of the attic space that you could send?

Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1