First floor dpc
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bigtrowel
Labourer
Labourer

First floor dpc

Post by bigtrowel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 pm

hello
Good building practice when building a traditional building is to leave cleaning holes out at the bottom course of the brickwork to give access to the cavity for cleaning the snots that invariably fall as you build.
In england cavity battens seem to be popular,but in my 23 years of graft in scotland i have never seen them used.
Our standard practice when building is to clean the wallties and cavity when the first floor is reached ,then build in an apron of dpc half covering the bed of the brick and leave cleaning holes out at that level,this can be done on every level if building flatted developments.
have to be very careful when it comes to bridging cavities because of the severity of the weather up here.
I have also seen which have not had their cavities filled to ground level with lean mix concrete and have subsequently filled with water which causes dampness in the superstructure.please be aware......water is a determined enemy.
thank you for reading my post

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:51 am