fish ponds
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ianmint
Apprentice
Apprentice

fish ponds

by ianmint » Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 am

hi guy's

have been out of the trade for a long time,just a few questions for you all.
I have a garden on three tiers,i am thinking of putting a fish pond on top tier cascading down to second tier to another pond,I would like to no how i stand on electrical instalation for pumps and lighting ect.Would i be able to via a fused spur from house ring main go out side in 2.5mm armoured 5 metres to sealed outdoor outlet,Or would i have to run the outdoor circuit from my consumer unit in the house wich is a split 5x5 with rcd coverage.I have my 16th but do not have part p,would i be able to carry out this myself,any help or tips on any of this would be most appresiated.
thanks ian.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Ian, yes best way/cheapest also is to come from socket in house via fused spur to outdoor socket, If on RCD already thats it, if not then use RCD fused spur to feed from ring, It is Part P work so no you can't DIY although I saw set up in B ig & Q wiks which was double outdoor socket, wired to RCD plug with longish lead which they claim does not need reporting as only an 'extention lead'!!!

ianmint
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ianmint » Wed May 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Thanks very much Sparks, good advice, will look into B & Q as you mentioned. Again thanks, Ian

ianmint
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ianmint » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 am

hi sparx me again,checked out rcd extention would do the job ok,but the extention lead is only 3 metres long,I need at least 5 to6 metres would i be able to replace this lead with a longer one of same type of flex,as the socket outlet end is accesable,ie not moulded type.
cheers again Ian.
ps.sorry about spelling,not my strongest point.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:55 pm

HI Ian, What can I say???
3 mtrs is 'recommended' max for flex on appliances, but extension leads...
Charlie Dimwit & Alan Tithead got severe bollo...reprimand for running pump flexes through garden hose on TV, only you know how safe your set up would be ,sorry not going to commit myself further.....
regards SPARX

ianmint
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ianmint » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:25 am

lol cheers sparx think i will get round prob with 3metres on pump flex and 3metres on outlet flex should be ok {i hope} thanks again ian.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:25 pm