Fitting a ceiling light from Italy
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Peter Bowman
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a ceiling light from Italy

Post by Peter Bowman » Sun May 17, 2009 4:38 pm

I have purchased a ceiling light from Italy which has come with no instructions. It has two wires, both clear in colour which I have connected to the existing live and neutral which caused it to blow the fuse. I then did the above and also connected the earth which had the same result. Thanks for any advice.
Peter

NORMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PETE

Post by NORMAN » Sun May 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Am I right in saying that the Italians use a different voltage than that in the UK. Could be the reason.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun May 17, 2009 6:27 pm

You will have live, neutral, earths and switch cables in the ceiling void.
You need to connect earth to earth terminals,
all the reds together in a seperate termination block with nothing else and you should then be left with two black may be three blacks if you also had three reds.
One black is a swith live and the other(s) neutrals. The switch wire should have a red tag on it but this seems to be often forgot about.
The switch wire will go to one side of your lamp(clear cables) and the neutrals to the other.
This should now work. Isolate circuit prior to work
Kind Regards
KB
I am assuming your cable colours are the old red and black, but the new colours in recent builds are Brown instead of Red and Blue instead of Black.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Did you also alter the existing ceing rose connections?
How many wires have you in the ceiling rose /connector and what colours are they?(exclude earths)
What type of lampholder does the fitting have(BC,ES,SES)?

Peter Bowman
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics

Post by Peter Bowman » Tue May 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Thank you to all who replied to my query re Italian light fitting. The problem has now been resolved.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 am