Fitting a Ceiling Light With Fewer Fittings Than old Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JeffArnold
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a Ceiling Light With Fewer Fittings Than old Light

by JeffArnold » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi

I'm confused by the light fitting I've bought. It appears to have fewer connectors than other light Ive bought. Can someone tell me if it is suitable for looped lighting and if it is okay to put the wires into the same connector ie both neutrals in the neutral connector.

Thanks
Attachments
1553189625244807.jpg
1553189584503636.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting a Ceiling Light With Fewer Fittings Than old Light

by ericmark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Likely you don't have two neutral connectors, but one is neutral and the other is switched line and the sleeving has fell off, just buy some 5 amp connector strip and swap the three terminals to four terminals.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:34 am

If that is how the old light fitting was connected then yes, it is safe to do the same.

It is quite common for manufacturers to use the smallest connector strip they can, Some times you have to change the supplied connector strip to a larger one and some times more of it to accommodate the common "loop in" system of wiring (Three twin and earth cables, 9 wires in total)

JeffArnold
Labourer
Labourer

by JeffArnold » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply Mr White. I've attached a picture of the old fitting, which I what I'm used to with fitting light. Each wire has its own connector. Am I right in thinking I'll need to change the block on the new light?

Thanks
Attachments
1553243097495925.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm

It's hard to tell from your picture the physical size of the new light's connector block, so all I can say is try to connect the cables and see do they fit, if they don't then yes you will need a bigger connector block.
You could, of course, use Wago connectors, but for a one-off job, they are a bit costly.

Well done you for taking a picture of the ceiling rose before you disconnected it. Often people say ..............I have these wires where do they go?

JeffArnold
Labourer
Labourer

by JeffArnold » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks for all your replies. I've got it sorted, it was the lights fittings that there me, it's a cheap light with a small connector block. I used wago connectors as I had some from some other jobs. It's all working which is great!
I've just got to figure out the switches in the room now which are wired oddly too!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Just remember, do as you did before, take in-focus pictures, and you may want to mark the cables too.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 am