Fitting a chain door closer
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
amymiller
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a chain door closer

by amymiller » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:43 pm

I am trying to fit a chain door-closer to my kitchen door. I have 3 questions:

1. I am required to drill a 22mm x 147mm hole. The door width is 38mm but because the door is not flush with the frame i need to drill as close to one edge as possible. Any tips on how to keep the drill dead straight given that there's not much margin for error?

2. I can't pull the chain out even a fraction. Is it just a case of brute strength or is there a knack to it?

3. Any tips for lining up the 2 plates?

Many thanks.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 am

Hi There

Have you had a look at the DIY Doctor Projects section? There are several projects on fitting locks and latches that may be of some use to you.
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Cheers

amymiller
Labourer
Labourer

by amymiller » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 am

[quote="gardnico1307"]Hi There

Have you had a look at the DIY Doctor Projects section? There are several projects on fitting locks and latches that may be of some use to you.
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, I have already looked at several topics to no avail. Nothing quite covers it.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Before you do anything what type of door is it your fitting to ? Drilling near the edge without practice may end up with a split door.The door close itself can have the tension undone by turning it round.Undo it enough so it is slack then i place a small piece of piano wire through the chain or use mole gripps on it then tighten it back up.This will leave the chain out but under tension till you fit it.
Even as a pro i hate these jobs as they are so fiddly and awkward. I would use a pro mortice jjig to drill the hole as that way i know the door wont split going close to the edge. Doing it without the jig would make me nervous and i fit a lot of locks on offset doors.
Is this needed for fire regulations ? If not how about fitting rising butt hinges for the same effect without the hassle ?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:49 pm

i am quite an experienced hand and have fitted these devices myself and they are tricky even for a pro.

allan the locksmith is right - far better to use a mortise jig (this requires a router) as one little slip and the drill will come right through the side of the door. there are devices you can get that you mount on the drill that will help to achieve a square bore but i've never used one myself and don't know how good or how easy they are to use.

you might want to consider getting someone in who has the tools and the knowhow. not an easy one to tackle for the inexperienced.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 pm