Fitting a new ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LisaQ
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a new ceiling light

by LisaQ » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:02 pm

I've just bought a new light fitting and thought it would be straight forward to fit, as have been all the others in the house. On taking down the pendant I've found 3 red wires, 3 black (one of which was wired into a seperate block) and what looks like the copper earth wire folded back and not used. Cannot figure where the single black goes, I've tried putting it to earth but the l ight stays on when should be off. :? HELP!!

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:58 pm

The black wire that was separate to the other two black wires before is your switch wire. This connects to the L on your light. Connecting it to earth is less than clever! If you want it to be right it should be sleeved red or have some red tape on it, as it is actually a live wire. The two blacks go to the N. The earths you referred to need connecting to E. That leaves you with three reds that don't need to be connected to your light fitting, but must all be connected together.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Fitting a new ceiling light

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:31 pm

[quote="LisaQ"]I've just bought a new light fitting and thought it would be straight forward to fit, as have been all the others in the house. On taking down the pendant I've found 3 red wires, 3 black (one of which was wired into a seperate block) and what looks like the copper earth wire folded back and not used. Cannot figure where the single black goes, I've tried putting it to earth but the l ight stays on when should be off. :? HELP!![/quote]

LISA
THE BLACK in the separate block might have been your switch wire
which should have been tagged red. ( and connected to brown of switch wire or pendant lampholder ).
this black goes to brown of new light fitting.
the most important YOUR BARE COPPER 3WIRES R EARTH AND SHOULD B TAGGED WITH GREEN AND YELLOW SLEEVEING AND PUT INTO EARTH TERMINAL OF NEW LIGHT FITTING.
see doc s projects on lighting too before u proceed further!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLAKEY1963

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am