Fitting a non-opening upvc window
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stax
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a non-opening upvc window

by Stax » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi, I have aquired two small non-opening upvc windows to replace ground-floor existing aluminium ones. I really can't see any way it would be possible to attach the frame to the brickwork with screws because as I mentioned the windows do not open. Is there any other way I can secure the frame before I use expandible foam to fill any gap?

I-BODGIT
Labourer
Labourer

by I-BODGIT » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi,Is all the ally window coming out(including hardwood frame)?.If it is and your new windows are a pretty good fit,cut yourself 4 nice wooden wedges and wedge it in position nice and square.use expanding foam all around the edge of the window.this should be fine to hold a window with no openers.
Alternatively you can de-glaze the window and fix it and then re-glaze it.

immo
Apprentice
Apprentice

de-glaze it!

by immo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Take the gasket (black rubber wedge) out of one side and use a stiff scraper to take the beads out from the other side. carefully take out the glass and packers.
Measure yoour window height and width to determine wether or not its a straight fit or if it will go into the hardwood (if you have any with your ali windows).

Take out the old window and timber frame if needed and sit your pvc one in. you should have a cill also? fix into old timber frame with wood screws. or masonary screw into the wall.

Make sure its level, foam outside if gaps are more than 20 mm.
put the glass back in onto 5mm packers to stop the double glazing unit from breaking down and to allow for drainage.
Put beads back on, may need to tap in with palm or plastic mallet.
Put wedge back in on other side, use water or washing up liquid to make this easier.

Trim up gaps with plastic trim, clean it all, seal it with silicone.
Job done.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 pm