Fitting a shower tray.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NotCluedIn
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a shower tray.

by NotCluedIn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Hey guys, had to sign up to join ya as I've started some home improvements and need some professional help!

SO looks like I'll be around for a bit as I'm considering taking a few courses to help me in DIY for the future. God help me!

Anyway, just need some advice.

I live in a first floor apartment and have taken to ripping my bathroom suit out completely and fitting a walkin shower, as previously I has a bath.
I didn't want an easy plumb tray as I decided to take the route of hiding all the pipes in the bathroom so I opted for a stone resin tray.

The floor has 4"s of concrete set on a bison unit so with mixed opinions from so called professionals, ie friends, I decided to track the edge of the floor were it meets the wall so as I could run the waste straight down to meet the wash basin waste and continue out the wall to meet the drainage with the use of a trap. I also track the walls to run the water pipes down from the roofspace for the basin as it originally was wall mounted and the waste boxed in.

The popular opinion was it could be done so I went with that and did it myself (the tracking that is).

Interested to hear your opinions on that matter!!!

The problems I have run into with the bathroom was down to lack of planning and the workers giving me ideas. But thst's in the past and I have to deal with the present. Hopefully this is where you guys fit in lol.

At first I bought an 800mm shower tray as to allow me more space but as I ended up getting a thermostatic shower, brought the electric one back, and it sits out from the wall with 2 chrome pipes running into the top of it (only two pipes now showing), there wasn't enough room to move about in the base. The walls and floor had already been tiled just waiting on the plumber to connect the pipes.
I decided to lift the shower tray, removing surrounding tiles and purchase a 900mm tray which is more like it.

Anyway, my question....

Do I install the shower tray on a tiled floor with tiled walls or do I install it on the concrete floor and tile down to it?
Reading different opinions on the web.

What do I seal the shower tray with? Need to make sure there aren't any leaks as I have a neighbour downstairs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening guys I tried to be as descriptive as I could.

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi Not,
It's hard to give advice like yours over the net without seeing it, but yes I always seal around the Sh/tray with white silicone (if your going for white tiles clear if not) *make sure its mold resistant*

try not to put us Plumber out of Bussiness!!!!LOL

hope this helps,
Mark

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:21 pm