Fitting a Spyhole to PVC Door
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slapdash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting a Spyhole to PVC Door

by slapdash » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:20 am

I'd like to fit a spyhole viewer to a shiny new PVC door. Can I just drill a hole through the middle of the door?
I'm presuming it's a steel frame but can anyone advise me if I'm likely to come across a steel plate in the middle of the door?
If the doorskin is just plastic - rather than plastic coated steel - can I draw the spyhole tight enough without distorting the door?
Anyone done this before?

TheIronmonger
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TheIronmonger » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 am

No no and no you shouldnt drill a UPVC door it will compromise the intergraty of the door also you will need at least 30-40mm door thickness for a door viewer and you wont have that on UPVC.
You can buy a cheap battery operated camera type door viewer that you can glue to the outside of the door if you need to.

firesdirect
Labourer
Labourer

by firesdirect » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:56 pm

[quote="TheIronmonger"]No no and no you shouldnt drill a UPVC door it will compromise the intergraty of the door also you will need at least 30-40mm door thickness for a door viewer and you wont have that on UPVC.
You can buy a cheap battery operated camera type door viewer that you can glue to the outside of the door if you need to.[/quote]
I have a upvc door with the upper section being lead-lite obscured glass.
This is fitted to a recessed panel (35mm thick) into an outer frame. The outer frame is 65mm thick. I have looked at battery alternatives, but they still require a hole of 12mm. With this in mind would 14mm for the peephole type make such a difference, especially as the outer frame is so thick ? This of course assumes that I am able to find one to fit 65mm.
Thanks in anticipation of your advice :D

migwell030744
Labourer
Labourer

Spy hole in uPVC door

by migwell030744 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 am

Hi just joined DIY Doctor and read your question.

Why not give the makers of thr door a ring and ask them, or I am sure a local installer would advise you even if they had to make a visit. It will be worth it in the end. After all you don't want to ruin a good door and have to spend out to have a new one fitted do you. They might be able to fit the viewer or even just supply the correct type if it possible to have one fitted.

My Daughter has a viewer in her UPVC door but it was installed at the building stage and it is a composit solid door with just a small obscure glass pannel about 12" X 9" and it was just fitted as though it had been a solid wood door.

I hope this gives you something to go on and yoy end up with what you wanted.

Regards Migwell [color=black][/color]

thedoorman
Labourer
Labourer

Door Spy Hole

by thedoorman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 am

Thats not true....I used to make upvc doors
Manufacturers know and expect people to install Spy Holes
There is a blank spot one inch wide made for spy holes
Dave

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

by alavapint » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure if I can mention a supplier.
But I have been fitting spy holes in UPVC doors for the past ten years.
Never had a problem as my door viewers for UPVC doors are of a short length, and can easily be tightened up giving a secure fit.
When I fit the inner section of the viewer I fit a 2mm x 30m nylon washer over it before tightening. This spreads the load should you worry about 'just plastic'.

When I am asked to do a door with a metal section in it, I just mark the centre of the hole using a nail, and then use a 16mm drill bit as a guide to draw a circle round it. Then drill a load of holes around the inside of the circle, and finish it off with a round file. Do that on both sides of the door, and pop your door viewer in.
Done hundreds of them (honest... I buy them in boxes of 20) and never had a problem

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 pm