DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Fitting architraves and windowsills around window with no recess

Postby Meg0227 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm

I got new windows fitted but the window fitter didn't leave a recess inside. Now I'm trying to fit architraves and window sills but I'm not sure where they should be fixed against .

When I did some research, I can see there should be a wooden frame sitting on a recess around a window so architrave can be fixed against the wooden frame. But in this case there is no recess , so no place to fit wooden frame.

Can you advise if it's best to fix architrave/windowsills against brick wall in this case ?
Attachments
IMG-20200810-WA0002_compress52_resize_46.jpg
IMG-20200810-WA0006_resize_55.jpg
IMG-20200810-WA0004_compress97_resize_47.jpg
Meg0227
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby Msk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:13 am

It can be done, maybe a window board approx 2" thick with 3" projection fixed through the face and a rebated architrave.
The rebate would be the depth equivalent to he distance from the wall to the inside face of the widow approx 5mm by the look of the photos
Msk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!