fitting bedroom light fitting.got problem please help.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lou barhan
Labourer
Labourer

fitting bedroom light fitting.got problem please help.

Post by lou barhan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:16 pm

I have just bought a 3 light semi flush fitting,ceiling light ,wene i removed the old one i found 3 cables sticking down,all with red,black and neatral.my new light fitting has only brown,blue,neutraul.now the loft light,bedroom,spare bedrooom lights dont work.can anyone tell me how to wire it all together.wifes going mad.please helpthank you.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Jeffmo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi common ? All reds into connection block seperate from light , 2 Blacks together connect to blue from light fitting black sleeved with red connects to brown from light fitting . If using fancy ceiling rose then in rose you have three banks of connectors 3,3,and 2 ..1st three connect 2 blacks and blue 2nd three connect all reds and last two connect switch wire ( black with red sleeve) and brown from light .. All earths together, either in ceiling rose or seperate connector block .. All earths should be sleeved in green and yellow sleeving .Hope this helps ..Cheers Good luck and be Safe Jeff

lou barhan
Labourer
Labourer

new ceiling light

Post by lou barhan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm

hi jeffmo,sorry to trouble you again.i did not really understand what you said,my apolagies its no t your fault,iam a bit dim.like i said i have 3 seprate wires coming through all with red,black,neatral.my new light fitting has only one red,one black and one neatral.could you please run it through step by step.sorry about that,would apreciate it .thank you lou.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Jeffmo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm

ok , you have 3 wires (actually cables) all the reds need to go into connection block ( seperate to light fitting ) you are then left with 2 blacks and 1 other black which should have red sleeve .The two blacks without sleeve connect together . .Ok you now should have a connector with 2 blacks in it ,this then is what you connect the blue from the light fitting to. Ok now we have 1 black left with red sleeve ,this wire now connects to the brown of light fitting .. As regards earths these should be sleeved in grenn and yellow sleeving ( diy shop if not ) and connected together once again seperate to light fitting . Now ( info only) if the light fitting is metal you need to run a 'flying' earth wire from the earth wires mentioned earlier to the earth connector on body of the fitting ...Unless it is double insulated if so it should have a symbol like a box with another box inside it . These do not require flying earth . I can't make it any easier i'm afraid .Good luck and be safe .Ps ..if there is no red sleeving on switch wire ,then get back to me .Cheers Jeff

lou barhan
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling light

Post by lou barhan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 pm

cheers jeff,it works perfectly.thank you very much.take care.lou.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:58 am