Fitting dimmer into ceiling void
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tim54
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting dimmer into ceiling void

by tim54 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi,

I want to fit a light dimmer into ceiling void. Dimmer is about 5cmx3cm and must be wired into light circuit in ceiling. Is there any way a hole big enough to access ceiling void and insert dimmer can be m ade but still covered over by a standard ceiling light fitting? Any suggestions?

Access to ceiling void not possible from above - only option from below. Don't want to have to replaster ceiling!

CHeers.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

what's the light dimmer for, is it on a circuit board.?
what kit is it?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Can you say why you would like the dimmer in a ceiling void & do you mean a normal wall switch style of dimmer.

tim54
Labourer
Labourer

by tim54 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for replies. Bit more information...

The dimmer is part of the Rako lighting control system. Dimmer is RF controlled from remote source and to be installed in ceiling. I was wondering whether there would be enough space if a hole was to be cut beneath the ceiling rose and insert the dimmer that way? The dimmer's smallest dimensions are 3.6cm x 5 cm. Wondered if anyone had any experience with this or a similar system?

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:26 am

Hi,
Your standard ceiling rose is about 75-80mm dia, with fixing holes approx 50mm apart.
This looks a like squeeze to me.
So really depends on the fitting it's being fitted to, logic says if the fitting is flush to ceiling and a of a size that will allow a larger hole to be made, no reason why not, the dimmer unit will be accessible so no problems with regs, providing it is an approved accessory.
I'm not familar with the kit so may be some one with a bit more knowledge than I could know a way around it.
KB

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:22 am

I have fitted a couple of dimmer like this & are very similar in looks to a 12v electronic transformer.
You could do one of a couple of things if its the one that is oblong in shape.
If its an old style light its going behind? You can still get the old wooden ceiling rose blocks that would give you some extra room to make a hole behind the c/rose. Or you can also buy plastic halo’s in white that do a similar thing. But if you can make a hole large enough to get the dimmer in, make sure there is good air circulation around the dimmer. IE: no insulation.

tim54
Labourer
Labourer

by tim54 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for responses. Sounds encouraging. Collectors - you wouldn't happen to be able to link to picture of wooden ceiling rose blocks or plastic halo? Not quite sure what you are referring to here. Cheers.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm

[quote="tim54"]Thanks for responses. Sounds encouraging. Collectors - you wouldn't happen to be able to link to picture of wooden ceiling rose blocks or plastic halo? Not quite sure what you are referring to here. Cheers.[/quote]

Hi, sorry for not getting back, (Working away)
This site has some Google "lampsandlights.co.uk/ceiling_hooks_plates.htm" , but i have seen larger than these.

tim54
Labourer
Labourer

by tim54 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks Collectors

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:21 pm