Fitting electrics to towel radiator.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dns
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting electrics to towel radiator.

by dns » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm

I've just refurbished my bathroom and decided to replace the ancient fan heater with a chrome towel radiator.

My flat is electric only so I've been looking at heating elements to fit a normal chrome radiator. Are these suitable for use with a single radiator, or can they only be added to a full central heating system?

Any help much appreciated!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 pm

It's not totally clear from your post exactly what you intend to do, but if you are considering a normal chrome ladder type towel rail, and fitting a heating element, than that is not quite how it works.

These radiators are called dual fuel, and must be connected to a wet system and cannot be run simply on electric only.

Also, you need to be aware that all electrical work in a bathroom must be carried out by a qualified person in the same way as gas work has to be.

knight-gkla
Labourer
Labourer

by knight-gkla » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:09 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]
These radiators are called dual fuel, and must be connected to a wet system and cannot be run simply on electric only.
[/quote]

Not quite true, some can be liquid filled then sealed and run on electricity only. I have one. You have to let them heat up then close the vent.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Yes indeed some can be oil filled, but generally not "normal" rails as dns asked. A suitable element for oil heaters has to be used too.

arasca
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fitting electrics to towel radiator.

by arasca » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm

[quote="dns"]I've just refurbished my bathroom and decided to replace the ancient fan heater with a chrome towel radiator.

My flat is electric only so I've been looking at heating elements to fit a normal chrome radiator. Are these suitable for use with a single radiator, or can they only be added to a full central heating system?

Any help much appreciated![/quote]

Hi
you can get more information about towel radiators from the fallowing site: Google "towel-radiator.com

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm