fitting new ceiling light - the wires are the same colour
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darren.mills@virgin.net
Labourer
Labourer

fitting new ceiling light - the wires are the same colour

Post by darren.mills@virgin.net » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi

I want to fit a new ceiling light I have just bought but am a little confused with the wiring on it.

The combination of wiring connections with the current light is as follows with the first item being the wire coming out of the ceiling and the second being that on the existing light. Black = Blue, Red = Brown, then a bare wire coming out of the ceiling which is simply connected to a metal item on the ceiling fitting and no other (I'm guessing this is earth?)

The problem is the new light I have has two wires which are the same colour i.e. neutral with no differentiation of blue or red etc, and there isn't anywhere for me to afix the 3rd wire which comes out of the ceiling. Can anyone offer advice?

The light is made by a company called 'Kartell' and the model is 'Fly'

Thanks for any assistance.

Darren Mills

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi,
having looked at the fitting it appears to be all insulated so no earth required but normally there would be a terminal for the earth wire to go in anyway.
Simply put the wire in a small connector block after taping it or sleeving it green/yellow.
If the lamp is a bayonet fitting or a plastic moulded ES type then polarity doesn't matter so wires can connect either way round, hence same colours.

SPARX

darren.mills@virgin.net
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks...

Post by darren.mills@virgin.net » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:37 am

For the response, that clears that up I think as it corresponds to information received from another party.

Thanks very much

Darren

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:34 am