Fitting new double glazed unit in existing wood front door f
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitting new double glazed unit in existing wood front door f

by dchopp » Tue May 27, 2008 11:11 am

I have a 40 year old house which has a wooden front door frame which includes a front door with 2 side panels, upper and lower. My project is to blank off the lower and install a new double glazed unit with frosted glass in the upper.

There is a 5" bar between the two windows which houses the letter box and also at the bottom.

As the new glazed unit will be 14mm thick I forsee a problem with the beading around the window sticking out on the bar even if there is room to fit it. There is sufficient room on the other three sides.

As a remedy I have considered fixing a panel on the bar to increase its width but I am wondering if there is an easier way to do it without doing this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

dg unit

by welsh brickie » Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am

the glaziers can reduce the thickness of the unit or have you considered
laminated glass.If you do decide to go for the unit the beading will have
to be replaced by pinning a bigger width bead to the door rather than
inside the rebate.
I think the smallest unit is 12mm if this helps but pesonally I would go
with the laminated or toughend single pane.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Depending on the frame you should be able to make the glass rebate deeper so that it takes the thicker glazing unit without having to adjust the beading.

You could use a router if you can get one to fit in the space, otherwise its a hammer and chisel.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:48 pm