Fitting Radiator Termostatic Value but Unsure If I can Unscrew old one?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lockierp
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Radiator Termostatic Value but Unsure If I can Unscrew old one?

by lockierp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 pm

I've been doing some work to improve the efficiency of my heating system, which has involved replacing a few thermostatic valves. Easy enough, but i'm mystified by one radiator, which has no valve, it appears to have the valve connection to the radiator, but then just a simple turn handle, with a screw on the top. (can't figure out how to post the picture). It's just marked "scottish gas", and has an arrow for "open". The problem is, I think it's broken as the radiator is always on full blast. Can I just unscrew it and replace it with a proper thermostatic value. I don't want to just go and disconnect it, in case it has some significance! It's the only one of this type in the house.

Cheers

mileso
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fitting Radiator Termostatic Value but Unsure If I can Unscrew old one?

by mileso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:04 pm

Rad Thermostas just unscrew at the base. if you have bought one look at the bottom it will fit on the radiator and presses down on the valve to release water
no chance in water leaking from your rad

kjones1829
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fitting Radiator Termostatic Value but Unsure If I can Unscrew old one?

by kjones1829 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Yes of course you can unscrew your old one and go replace it with a proper thermostatic value. As long as it fits in, there won't be any problem.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1